Gustavus Adolphus College
800 West College Avenue
St Peter MN 56082
In affiliation with:
The Safe Zone Goal:
This program's goal is to provide a more supportive and comfortable environment for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered persons, and those in the process of defining their sexuality by identifying individuals who can provide support, information, and a safe space within the Gustavus community.
Objectives of the Safe Zone Program:
- Identify and form a network of persons within the Gustavus community who are understanding and knowledgeable about GLBT issues and concerns.
- Provide evidence of that support through the display of a sign as a visible symbol.
- Work to reduce social ostracism, discrimination, and physical harm of GLBT persons within the Gustavus community.
- Foster greater self-esteem, pride, and visibility for GLBT individuals
Members of the Safe Zone program are:
- Faculty, Staff, Administration, Collegiate Fellows, and Peer Assistants
- Heterosexual, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, and others
- Aware, knowledgeable, and supportive of GLBT issues and concerns
- People possessing the skills to be an active ally
- Informed and aware of GLBT resources
- Respectful of confidentiality
Identifying Safe Zone members:
Safe Zone members are given a sign depicting the symbol on this page to designate their safe space. You may request a list of Safe Zone members by contacting Open Voices, the Peer Assistants, or the Counseling Center.
Also on campus are people who have not gone through the Safe Zone training, but who have identified themselves as supportive of GLBT issues with a simple rainbow flag.
To become a member:
Members of the Safe Space program are asked to attend a training session and state their commitment to being a supporter of the GLBT community. If you are interested in becoming a member, please contact Open Voices, the Peer Assistants, or the Counseling Center.
- Safe Zone Committee
Staff Advisor: Deirdre Rosenfeld
- Peer Assistants
Advisor: Judy Douglas
- Open Voices
Advisor: Phil Voight
Email List: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advising/Counseling Center
- PFLAG Mankato
- PFLAG Twin Cities
- District 202
2524 Nicollet Ave S
Minneapolis MN 55404
- Outfront Minnesota
310 38th St E Suite 204
Minneapolis MN 55409
- Alliance for Justice
PO Box 124
Mankato MN 56082
- 24 Hour Crisis Line
Email any corrections, etc. to Travis Nygard (email@example.com)